Thursday, February 16, 2012

Letter to Secretary Enrique T. Ona


February 16, 2012

Dr. Enrique T. Ona
Secretary
Department of Health
Philippines

Dear Sir,

Good day!

This letter was supposed to be my letter complaint last year’s sluggish response of your provincial hospital as well as your community clinics. Since I hadn’t had the time to write immediately and I had doubts of whether should you have concern with your provincial area of responsibility, I did not let your office know soon. But since, a lot of things change lately as well as the new administration, and repeated incidents of bad governance on our provincial and municipal hospitals, I would greatly appreciate it if my complaint months ago will just be heard and responded by your office.

Last year, May 1; my brother has been bitten by a stray dog. We hurriedly went to a nearest hospital (a private one) to have him vaccinated. But we happen to cannot afford the anti-rabies vaccine then. As a good tax payer, we knew that a portion of those taxes are allotted for DOH. That’s is when we rushed to Polomolok Municipal Hospital where we were instructed that we must be receiving the vaccine from South Cotabato Provincial Hospital,  which is about 40km away from our remote place. Before travelling that far, we did tried to all the community health centres but responses we got are of either there is no available anti-rabies vaccine, there were no doctors to see us (since doctors are only available on a schedule which we understood but how can we get prescription and buy a vaccine at an amount can afford!). It was already late afternoon, so we decided to go to the Provincial Hospital the next day. But when we got there, we were only entertained by a nurse who promised us that a doctor will soon attend us which she explained all the doctors were on a meeting. We did spend our whole afternoon till 4pm and no doctor showed up!  We even missed our lunch and my brother who did not received any vaccine for over 24-hours already collapsed out of thirst, tiredness and hunger. We honestly have no extra money for food and as well transportation back home. The money we had was for the supposed cheaper vaccine shots the government offer. But he did not receive any! We were too desperate that day, we then went to a private clinic instead and had his 1st shot. Our next problem was the succeeding shots. The provincial hospital nurse assured us that the next week we return, there will be available doctor to see us as well as cheaper vaccine. But sadly, same scenario happened, we were kept waiting from 8am till everyone in the hospital were gone. Since we have no enough money, we missed the 2nd shots. We manage to produce the amount 2 weeks after the 1st shot. What’s so disappointing is that we have friends who have easily received anti-rabies shots since they knew someone in the government. How about us? The ordinary taxpaying citizen who does not know anybody working at DOH? Money is so scarce that we decided to just let my brother be home at Manila instead. The money that was supposedly is paid for the 3rd shot was use a fare going back to Manila (since he was only on vacation here). I borrowed money for my brother’s remaining anti-rabies vaccine shots to continue it at Manila. Because of the weeks missed for his shots, San Lorenzo Hospital doctors decided to repeat all the shots back to day 1. Which in our part is again a waste of time and burden in finding means? Luckily, at San Lorenzo Hospital, the amount I sent my brother for the remaining shots are enough to cover all 5 shots. Until now, I am still paying little by little the money I barrowed for the vaccine. I may not have barrowed that big amount if only your local offices and centres are systematic and responsible enough to take actions in cases like these. If San Lorenzo can be of so much efficient and timely, how come our government clinic s and hospitals here are not even concern of our financial and compassion needs? I am just wondering. I hope that you may further investigate and strengthen efforts regarding cases like these. You are a department that saves life. And emergencies like these must have timely response and has compassionate and considerate staffs.
I am truly hoping, that I may never hear the same complaint as I did and as well, as taking all life (like my brother’s life) with urgency and respect. I also hope that in the next months, more programs and literacy about rabies awareness as well as responsible keeping of pets must be implemented. My brother’s case is just one of the many incidents often neglected. 

Respectfully Yours,

Rona Formoso

No comments:

Post a Comment